The Hound Dog (aka The Elvis Special)
One of the easiest biscuits to make for your canine King – inspired by Elvis Presley’s favourite snack of peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
- 200g plain wholemeal flour
- 100g rolled (porridge) oats
- 2 ripe bananas – mashed
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter (sugar and salt free – I use Meridian)
- 4 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F or Gas Mark 4
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly until they form a dough, adding more water if necessary. You can use a food processor if you have one.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured board until it is approximately 0.5cm thick.
- Cut into shapes using a cutter or into squares or rectangles with a knife
- If you want a glossy finish to your biscuits (nice if you’re giving them as a gift) brush with a little beaten egg and water.
- Bake on a non-stick baking sheet for 30 minutes
The number of biscuits produced will vary according to the shapes used but this quantity of dough will fill approximately two large or four small baking trays that will fit onto two shelves in the oven.
This is a great way to use up bananas that are a little past their best. You can also freeze bananas – mashed, chopped or whole to use in this recipe at a later date
Your dog probably doesn't care what shape their biscuits are but these canine cookie cutters are fun, especially if you're making treats as a gift. You can use them for "human" biscuits too!